Thermoplastic Elastomers Have Many Uses
A Thermoplastic Elastomer or TEP is one of the key compounds in the plastics industry. One form is vinyl based. These TEPs combine the properties of TPO, that is a thermoplastic polyolefin, along with qualities found with PVC. That is combining the advantages of using a “rubber” thermoplastic, with the flame retardant properties and oil resistance associated with PVC. It is possible to polymers and have a compound and product that suits specific industrial and commercial needs.
Uses of a Thermoplastic Elastomer
This particular compound has a wide range of different uses. They are used within the cable and wire market. These have both flexibility and resilience. These polymers have a low brittle point, ranging between -50c and -53c. Wiring and cable, using this plastic, can therefore be used in an extreme environment. They are found in wind farms. There is a widespread use in the automotive industry. One particular application, in extreme conditions, is for snow mobile tracks. Here the stiffness and abrasion resistance, plus the ability to operate in a very cold environment, shows how these different combinations can be applied.
Another good reason to buy thermoplastic elastomer polymers are the range of applications in the footwear industry.
Applications of specific compounds with footwear.
A good specialty tpe polymer company will have an extensive library, as well as trained staff who will be able to supply the expertise necessary to develop relevant TPE compounds. In particular PVC combined with Nitrile can be blended to produce a polymer that has excellent abrasion and slip resistance along with protection from oil. Again, it does make sense to buy thermoplastic elastomer TEP plastics, given this versatility.
Specific blends include:
- A Trulite expandable PVC/Nitrile is an oil resistant footwear compound.
- A Trulite high performance compound has good chemical, gasoline and oil resistance, and is suitable for the upper part of a boot.
- A Trulite High Grade oil resistant PVC/Nitrile compound that is suitable for the sole of a boot.
Specific applications can be investigated and developed. A good custom tpe polymer development company would welcome any inquiries concerning possible developments.
Cable and wire applications.
The other specialist area is cable and wire development.
- A Trulite general purpose thermoplastic elastomer. This is designed to work with cable and wire applications up to 105c. This material can be extruded, injected and molded. It also works well at low temperatures. An important advantage these polymers have over conventional galvanized thermoset rubber, is that it can be processed. This allows for a wider range of uses.
- A Trulite thermoplastic elastomer. This is again designed for use with wire and cable. It can be used at low temperatures, and up to a top range of 125c. Again this polymer can be extruded. Read more at http://www.sespoly.com
An advantage in wanting to buy thermoplastic elastomer compounds is the range of compound types available. These include:
- CONC: Concentrates.
- LSCH: These are low smoke halogen compounds.
- TPE: Thermoplastic polymers which have a wide range of uses.
- CPR: Chlorinated Polyethylene.
- TPR: Thermoplastic rubber. These work out a lot more cheaper and more versatile than galvanized rubber.
- TPO: Thermoplastic Polyolelfin. This is another product with a wide range of uses.
PVC: Polyvinyl Chloride.